b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 4 rivers of Eden

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew List" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 4 rivers of Eden
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 21:00:23 -0500

Walter:

You are now crossing the boundary dividing describing a belief and showing
how it fits into a discussion of Biblical Hebrew, and proselytizing for your
beliefs. I know I often skirt that same boundary, but my interest has always
been to describe where beliefs dovetail with observed Biblical Hebrew data,
but you are always free to disagree with those conclusions. But you are at
the very least implying, if not directly stating, that your interpretation is
the only correct way to look at the data.

First of all, science can deal only with the present. According to the
definition of science given in all the science textbooks I read that gave a
definition (not all science texts give a definition for science), science can
deal only with that which is observable where the observation is repeatable.
The past, even that which was observable, is no longer observable, therefore
its study is in the realm of history, not science.

As a result, evolution, the big bang theory, and so forth, describing what
some believe to have happened in the past, are no more than religious
beliefs. No less religious and no more scientific than the belief that a God
created the universe in six days roughly six millennia ago. Those who defend
these beliefs as just as closed minded, dogmatic, self-righteous
proselytizers as the most zealous of any other so-called “religious” belief.
This is where I see you proselytizing your (religious) beliefs.

On this list, I don’t need to proselytize. I expect that everyone here is
educated and has heard my beliefs already. Therefore I see no need to repeat
it.

I will back up what Dave stated, namely that while archeology indicated that
there was a local flood, it is a leap of faith to connect it to the Biblical
teaching that there was a world-wide flood. Dr. Ballard is trying to make the
same connection with his findings in the Black Sea. Who is correct? Both
can’t be. Both can be wrong. I believe neither you nor Dr. Ballard are
correct, but you are free to reject my belief.

Karl W. Randolph.