b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Eden & Rivers - Genesis 2:10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Eden & Rivers - Genesis 2:10
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 06:06:40 +0200

Hi people,

I completely agree with Chris' analysis below, but I would like to point out
one thing: the river's splitting into four "heads" has nothing to do with
what in English one would call its "headwaters". A river's "headwaters" are
its source, the spring or lake at which the river originates. The rivers'
"four heads" are its destination - think of a snake's head.

Yigal