b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hidden Grammatical Agendas?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hidden Grammatical Agendas?
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 23:21:32 +0200

Hi,

First of all, Hebrew grammar was indeed not "discovered" by modern
Europeans. The Masoretes obviously knew the rules (and invented some). So
did many Medieval Jewish scholars. The "academic" grammar used by many
modern scholars is, to a certain extent, disconnected from this tradition.

But if I understand what you wrote correctly, what the person you quoted was
referring to was not really grammar, but using the spelling for midrashic
purposes. Remember, that Jewish tradition teaches that the Torah was
literally written, or at least dictated, by God, and that every letter must
have a meaning. For example: the name "Ephron", the man from whom Abraham
bought the cave of Machpelah in Gen. 23. is usually spelled )PRWN, with the
W. But in verse 16, it appears twice, the second time, in which Abraham
weighs out the 400 shekels for him, it's spelled )PRN, without the W. Rashi,
quoting talmudic traditions, says that the missing letter is a sign that "he
said much and did not even do a little, taking big shekels from him". In
other words, the deficient spelling symbolizes a deficient personality.
Another commentator (Hezkini, 13th cent.) notes that the numerical value
)PRN is 400, just like the price he took for the cave.

There are hundreds of such midrashim.

Yigal