b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hidden Grammatical Agendas?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hidden Grammatical Agendas?
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 20:49:59 +0100

I am interested to hear your comments please........

I have been surfing some rabbinical "communications" on the jewish web. Most
of the stuff goes over my head but I did come accross a very 'small'
paragraph in a letter in response to somebody else, (unfortunately I could
not follow the thread), they were talking about 'Deficient spelling' and I
gathered from the gist of what must have been talked about that they were
conferring about the fact that assigning grammatical rules are not the sole
priviledge of 20th century advances in the understanding of language and
linguistics. I gathered too from the reply that someone must have said that
the 'Biblical hebrew' of the hebrews had its grammatical rules which may
well have appeared 'unorthodox' to todays scholars. But the climax came
when the rabbi said that deficient spelling was a grammatical rule! also
indicating (surprise surprise) a deficiency in the noun or concept that lay
in the sentence.

What are your thoughts please?