b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Eden's four rivers (article)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kwrandolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Eden's four rivers (article)
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 13:34:42 -0700

Walter:

Your admission of "_might_" below underscores the whole problem of historical reconstruction-too much information has been lost so that we really don't know.

Another explanation that I have heard is that when Noah and his sons stepped off their ship, they faced a completely reworked landscape where all the familiar landmarks were replaced. They named the first two major rivers they came across by names they were familiar with in pre-flood geology, but these were not the same rivers. Much the same way that migrants named new locales after ones that they left, such as Pittsburg California named after Pittsburg Pennsylvania, or Newark California after Newark New Jersey, and so forth, so Noah and his sons reused old names for new locales.

Secondly, wasn't Ur of the Chaldeas a different city than Ur of the Sumerians? I thought that was a reference found among the Ebla tablets. Correct me if I am mistaken, but my understanding is that Ur of the Chaldeans was a city to the north east of Ebla whose ruins have yet to be found, while Ur of the Sumerians was to the south east.

But without more solid data, all of this is speculation based on too few facts either way.

Interesting article, by the way.

Karl W. Randolph.