b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Why Semitic languages had no written vowels?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Sujata <shevaroys AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Why Semitic languages had no written vowels?
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 12:22:47 -0700 (PDT)

Would the writing implements used in ancient times
have had anything to do with the missing vowels? I
recall reading long time ago that some ancient
languages did not use the dots which were part of
their alphabets because of the difficulty in putting
these in stone inscriptions.

Best wishes,
Sujata