b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why Semitic languages had no written vowels?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Trevor Peterson <abuian AT access4less.net>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why Semitic languages had no written vowels?
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:33:36 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, and, it appears that they boorrowed and modified the Egyptian signs
earlier than the Ugaritic inventors of the alphabetic script. There does not
seem a connection between the two, or is there?

It is however interesting that two separate scripts appeared roughly in the
same time, give or take a couple of centuries. A script, incidentally, that
uses, with some changes, but in practically the same order, the very letters
of our electronic correspondence.

Uri

Trevor Peterson <abuian AT access4less.net> wrote, in part:

> ...." The point of the West Semitic innovation in borrowing from
Egyptian was to create a simpler sign set, which could not have been
done with a syllabary. Since that was the only other way that vowels had
been represented up to this point, it's perfectly understandable why
they wouldn't have gone in that direction...."

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics
http://mail.yahoo.com
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 18:10:55 -0400
From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why would the scribal authorities find
thisobjectionable?
To: wattswestmaas <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>,

I wrote:

>oh well its because "to stand before" means to worship or to wait for an
>authoritative word. You cant have God doing that to Abraham!

Then Chris replied

>Ok sorry, I hope that I can make it clearer. You said the above, in view of
>this meaning which you have written I was suggesting that maybe it was
>correct to leave it in the "objectionable" construct because that fits in
>with the circumstances. These circumstances were that God knew that Abraham
>was going to intercede and "question" or "politely alter" God's descision to
>destroy Sodom. Abraham was in effect 'demanding' (albeit politely)
>something from God. God had exalted Abraham to a place where God was going
>to listen to what Abraham had to ask, or, in other words Abraham had such a
>close relationship with God that even He would credit a certain amount of
>authority to Abraham's intercession.
>
> Maybe the scribes at the time could not cope with such an informality in
>the hebrew script yet maybe just this ONCE that was, what was precisely
>intended?

I think there is a difference between God being willing to listen to
supplication, (which is what Abraham appears to be doing) and God being
ordered around (which appears to be the misunderstanding that the
tiqqune sopherim tried to correct).

Best

Jim

--