b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: how does the eagle become new?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Deborah Millier <deborahmillier AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: how does the eagle become new?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:19:54 +0100

On 29/04/2005 03:39, Deborah Millier wrote:

I would suggest that here we really have two interleaved sentences: "your youth will be renewed, you will become like an eagle".

Okay. I thought of that. But then what does it mean
for for the author's NEPE$ to become "like an eagle"?

I take NEPE$ as meaning here (Psalm 103:5, as a reminder) something much like "self", in other words the psalmist is really talking about himself, and praising the Lord for renewing him and making him like an eagle. Indeed, since the psalmist is nominally David, we might suggest that (even if the actual author is someone else) this is intended to reflect David's life, that after the difficult period of conflict with Saul David was renewed and became like an eagle.

Again, why then would the author desire his NEPE$ to
become like a young eagle? His NEPE$ would sore? Catch
rodents quickly? Have keen eyesight? Strength to claw
and rip? What? :-)

Well, if we still want to analyse poetry, I would suggest soar (but not literally, i.e. move effortlessly), see clearly, be strong, yes perhaps even catch enemies quickly. Remember that being like an eagle is a common theme in the Hebrew Bible, cf. e.g. Isaiah 40:31.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)