b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] PQD in English in 1 Sam 15

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] PQD in English in 1 Sam 15
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:39:48 -0500

Jack:

This discussion is going around in circles.

First, the meaning of PQD does not mean “punish”. That is could be translated
as such is only a derived interpretation of its use in a partucular context.

Secondly, I and others have tried to point out to you that your reading of
the text is very culturally biased.

To give an example of a different cultural reading, let’s look at a view
widely spread in Islam. According to some, once an area has been conquered by
Islam, it
is to remain Islamic forever. By that reading, Islamic territories should
include all of Spain, southern areas of France, and all of the Balkans to the
gates of
Vienna. That those territories are not under Islamic control is because,
particularly in the case of Spain, of the role of Crusades to drive them out.
Now some in
Islam talk about avenging the actions of the Crusades. What they mean is not
just the Crusades, but the continued possession of those lands by peoples
opposed to the return of Islamic overlords. If the Spaniards, southern
French, and the Balkans had after the Crusades decided to become dhimmis and
invite
Muslim overlordship, the demand to avenge the actions of the Crusades would
not be there, because by their actions, the dhimmis would have already atoned
for the Crusades.

(As an aside, when my son watched the movie on Lawrence of Arabia, he didn’t
understand a reference to the “waters of Andulasia” until he learned about
the
above Islamic belief.)

What may seem to be your understanding of the text by your cultural bias as
an open and shut case, may have a completely different understanding by those
who wrote the text. In fact, my understanding of the text is based on a
different cultural reading than yours, namely that the reference to Ameleq’s
opposition
to Moses some 300+ years earlier refers not only to the opening act (contra
Moses during the Exodus) but includes all the following acts as well. The
reference only to the opening act is a short way of referring to the whole.

I don’t intend to say anything more on this subject.

Karl W. Randolph.