b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The mystery of vav-consequtive

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The mystery of vav-consequtive
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:27:53 +0100

On 27/04/2005 20:41, Rolf Furuli wrote:

... On the basis of years of textual studies, he was able to show that the authors of Biblia Hebraica in many cases had changed the Hebrew text in order to conform with their grammatical views (we find the same in the apparatus of BHS regarding weyiqtols in "wrong" places etc.). ...

Are you, or Sperber, claiming that there are cases where the BHS authors have departed from the text (rather than the apparatus) of their base manuscript, Leningradensis, to conform to grammatical views? That is a grave charge - at least if it applies to cases where Leningradensis is clear, rather than where it is damaged and a reconstruction must be made. Can you list any specific places where this has happened? I would expect our moderator Kirk Lowery to be very interested if there are such cases, as he is working on an electronic text of Leningradensis and his team is looking carefully at departures from the e-text of BHS.

Or are you referring only to marginal notes? In this case, you should withdraw your charge that anyone "changed the Hebrew text", as the notes are not part of the text.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)