b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] V'NaKeH Lo YiNaKeH Translation dependant solely uponcontext

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] V'NaKeH Lo YiNaKeH Translation dependant solely uponcontext
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:05:25 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: wattswestmaas <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>

> OK, I would like, please, to ask you for your much VALUED comments and
> advice (one last time) about what I have written below concerning the
> construction that is found in Exodus 34:7, I can assure you that this will
> help me enormously in the future to deal with similar situations. Thankyou.
> ----------
>
> It seems to me by comparing the exact phrase in other scriptures that there
> are 'subtle' indications that the translation is a translation of
> "Understanding" and "Interpretation" rather than of "Grammar and syntax".

All translation has at least some “understanding” and “interpretation”
because no two languages have the same lexeme understandings, let alone
where grammar and syntax also add further differences. Then there are the
stylistic additions in the target language needed to make a reading
smooth. I prefer to translate as literally as possible, but the differences
between Hebrew and English often rule that out.

> We have the translation in hebraic thought as:
> "but (or and) In the acquitting, God will certainly (absolutely) not acquit"
> ok fine!

> I notice in Genesis 24:41, first phrase where we read "then you shall be
> CLEARED from this oath" Niphal. Released from the burden of this
> responsibility obviously,

> thanks, Chris Watts.

Hold that final thought. This may be the key for all of us.

I seems that each of the uses for this unusual phrase is that of national (or
at least tribal) punishment or similar discipline. Is this not God saying
that
even the innocent among the people will not escape the national punishment?
What do you all think?

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm

  • Re: [b-hebrew] V'NaKeH Lo YiNaKeH Translation dependant solely uponcontext, Karl Randolph, 04/12/2005