b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] National punishment (Karl's query)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] National punishment (Karl's query)
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:06:45 +0100

Hallo Karl I do not understand fully your connection between my last verse
and your question, but nevertheless I would like to offer a couple of
observations about it.

1 It seems that in hebraic thought there are no such things as innocent
people. Only those who have been shown God's mercy. The world's deffinition
of innocent and God's are quite different.

2 When the 'righteous' have fallen under the same consequences of pain and
trouble as a result of national punishment then this is also God's mercy.
Simply because that God seems in scripture to judge as a LAST resort and
even in that judgement there is mercy for some to be found, and if the
righteous have not been carried away with the guilty then who will declare
God's outstretched arm of mercy to them?

3 the antithesis of all this is National redemption through the release from
captivity or whatever, are all those that return "Innocent"? Yet God
declares it as though the whole nation has repented.

Best regards, Chris, Ireland.

  • [b-hebrew] National punishment (Karl's query), wattswestmaas, 04/13/2005