b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The 'YOD' and 'ALEPH'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The 'YOD' and 'ALEPH'
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:08:17 -0500

Chris:

Echad )XD and yachad YXD are not interchangeable. The two words have similar
meanings, however )XD has more the meaning of oneness, becoming one, while
YXD has more the meaning of joining together, being together with.

They originally may have been the same root, but there is no indication of
such in B-Hebrew.

In some words where the aleph is optional, it can be replaced by a yod. The
same with an optional yod. But where it is a necessary part of the root, as
expressed in the example above, then they cannot be exchanged, for they
indicate differences in meaning.

Karl W. Randolph.