b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The 'YOD' and 'ALEPH'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The 'YOD' and 'ALEPH'
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 12:52:59 +0100

I have read that the 'Aleph' is sometimes replaced by the 'Yod' ie that they
are interchangeable. For example: ECHaD and YiCHaD: also: ARaCH and
YeRaCH (forgive the simplicity of my transliteration but I have never found
the symbols that you guys use for transliteration).

Anyway, my question is twofold:

1. What other letters are interchangeable, but still link with the basic
idea of the root as above?
2. Is there an explanation for this situation.

thankyou, Chris. Ireland