b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 2:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <mauros AT iol.ie>
  • To: abuian AT access4less.net
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 2:11
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:07:02 +0000

At 16:07 24/03/2005, Trevor Peterson wrote:

I don't have
mine handy at the moment, but this is some type of accent
mark. Note that there is a different accenting system for
Psalms (and Job and Proverbs, I think) from the other books

Trevor:
Forgive my "piggy-backing" on your reply but I have not so far received the original posting on this topic ( although I can see it in the archives ). Rather ironic, that, since it came from the same domain as my own <g>.

BTW, the original poster seems to have misread the versification -- it should read 2:12

You, of course, are right about the separate accent systems for Pss, Jb and Prov. The insert, and the "bookmarker" which came with my printed edition of BHS list the accent as " pazer " ( macron over both vowels ) with a > cf. I 15 < where I = Job.

Could I add another guide to BHS?

Wonnenberger, Reinhard. Understanding BHS: a Manual for the Users of Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartiensis. Subsidia biblica - 8. Rome: P.B.I, 1990.

and on the masorah question he raised:

Yeivin, Israel. Introduction to the Tiberian Masorah. 5. Masoretic Studies, Orlinsky, Harry M. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1980.

Kelley, Page H., and Daneil S. Mynatt, eds. The Masorah of B.H.S. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1998.

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros AT iol.ie