b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Psalm 2:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Psalm 2:11
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:31:34 -0000

Hallo

Psalm 2:11
NaSHKu-VaR ? This is a five part question.

Absolutely Nowhere in Gesenius or van de merwe grammar books can I find
infornation about two masoretic signs that are written here:

1. the first is the peculiar sign above the 'bet' in this phrase.

2. and what do these circles above letters mean that i keep coming
accross?

3. Is there any chance that this aramaic word for 'son' could mean
'purity' and then one is lead to translate this phrase as: 'take hold of
purity, or embrace purity'? the artscroll series translates it thus.

4. I read somewhere that 'BaR' is really a construct of 'BeN' is this
true? One hears bar mitzvah instead of ben mitsvah?

5. since the psalmist a few verses earlier uses 'BeN' for son, then I
wonder why he switches from hebrew to aramaic in the middle of this psalm,
unless he really wants his readers to understand something other than 'son'?