b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:31:44 -0500

Jack:

LOL! That's what we get when we open our mouths on quickly correctable online
speech!

But in general use, outside of specialized phrases, "man" refers only to the
male of our species. I believe historically "man" was used in a wider sense,
hence its survival in historical phrases such as you mentioned where people
recognize that it is used in a non-standard way by modern standards, but
today it would be considered proper by most people to use "mankind" or
"human" in more generalized speech.

However, the use of "he" is still proper, much to the distress of the
feminists.

>From the numbering of Israel in the wilderness after the Exodus, we see that
>only those considered fighting men (or in the case of the Levites, connected
>with cult worship) were counted. It looks as if those who were not counted,
>were excluded not because they were unimportant, but for other reasons.

Still there is the grammatical masculine in Hebrew for mixed or generalized
groupings, such as "anyone" or "people".

Karl W. Randolph.