b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>, "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:12:06 -0600

That's how it looks to me, too.

I printed out all 80 verses that contained the word, then looked up how the
word was used in each verse. Many times it's contrasted with n@kebah for
female. Sometimes zakar and n@kebah are combined with 'iysh and 'ishshah
in hard to understand ways.

Specifically at issue are the two verses in Leviticus 18 and 20 that condemn
any 'iysh who copulates with a zakar to death. It has been argued in a
couple of places that zakar isn't simply another word for "man"; it means
some particular subcategory of man.

One individual began his analysis by looking up all uses of zakar that were
translated as "man" in the OT, KSJ - and didn't initially realize there were
many other cases where it was translated "male".

These 18 or so cases where zakar is translated as"man" in the King James
Bible - other than those two verses, he found it to clearly refer to an
immature man.

I honestly didn't find what he is talking about in my own analysis.

Someone else got the idea from somewhere that zakar in the two verses in
Leviticus means male prostitute or effeminate man or some other special
category of man.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas