b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Re: Ex 20:11 extent of time

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Re: Ex 20:11 extent of time
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:09:19 +0000

On 18/02/2005 03:31, kgraham0938 AT comcast.net wrote:

The KI here is explaining the motivation for saying the first part, same in
our verse here. The motivation why Moses says what he says in verse 10 is
because of what YHWH did in verse 11.

" You shall not work, you and your son.... for (the motivation why Moses said
the previous statement) in six days....

We have to add "in" to our translation to make it smooth. Because it is linked to the
previous verse. That is why I don't think translating it as "for six days YHWH made the
heavens..." is not quite accurate, because it sounds like Moses is switching topics and I
don't think he is.

Of course, KIY gives the reason, and needs to be rendered in English by something like "for" or "because", with "for" as a conjunction. No one is doubting that. The issue is a quite separate one: is the temporal phrase to be understood like English "in six days" or more like English "for six days"? In the latter case, one might want to translate "for for six days...", with "for" being used first as a conjunction and then as a preposition. Anyway, we need to be careful here to discuss the Hebrew as a language in itself and not assume a one-to-one correspondence with English.

Presumably if C's "for six days" alternative actually means anything different from "in six days", the point being made is that during an extended period of creation (more than one week, perhaps billions of years!) God followed the pattern of six days of work, one day of rest, then again six days of work etc. That would be a good justification of the commandment, although it conflicts with Genesis 1 - and I doubt if it will satisfy conventional cosmologists and geologists either! But could the Hebrew mean this? I rather doubt it, but what does anyone else think.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)