b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Re: Ex 20:11 extent of time

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Re: Ex 20:11 extent of time
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 03:31:43 +0000

Hello Vadim:

I think the answer lies in the conjunction KI. As you know it has several
usages, I think this particular one is called "evidential." Which means that
it provides the evidence or motivation behind a statement, rather than
presenting the cause of an action. See " Guide to Biblical Hebrew Syntax"
Bill Arnold and John H Choi.

In otherwords the KI here is explaining why Moses said the previous
statement. (verse 10) For example turn to 1 Sam 26:15 I think KI is being
used the same way. L' $AMAT:TTA 'L 'ADONAI HAMELEK CIY BA"

Why did you not gaurd your lord the kind? For one of the people came....

The KI here is explaining the motivation for saying the first part, same in
our verse here. The motivation why Moses says what he says in verse 10 is
because of what YHWH did in verse 11.

" You shall not work, you and your son.... for (the motivation why Moses said
the previous statement) in six days....

We have to add "in" to our translation to make it smooth. Because it is
linked to the previous verse. That is why I don't think translating it as
"for six days YHWH made the heavens..." is not quite accurate, because it
sounds like Moses is switching topics and I don't think he is.

This can be verified when you look at the LXX of the verse, it reads...

EN GAR hEZ hMERAIS

For in six days....

--
Kelton Graham