b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: A Reader's Hebrew Old Testament

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Arne Halbakken <1stluth AT smig.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: A Reader's Hebrew Old Testament
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:46:21 -0600

A. Philip Brown II <apbrown2 AT prodigy.net> wrote on 15 Jan 2005:

It will be paper. I'm not targeting in-class students so much as those who
have completed a year or more of Hebrew and want to read their OT regularly,
but are unwilling to take the time to look up all the words they don't know.
That targeted audience is, even at a conservative estimate, easily 60% of
all students who take 1 or more years of Hebrew.

R. Christopher Heard <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu> responded on 18 Jan 2005:

First, I have to admit that I have a bit of a _philosophical_ problem with
this approach. Why play to readers' laziness?

Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org> responded on 18 Jan 2005:

This seems like a strange philosophy, Chris. Do you have a philosophical
problem with all labour and time saving devices? Do you do all your
washing by hand? Do you walk everywhere? Just as cars and washing
machines save time and effort, so does having dictionary glosses on the
same page rather in a separate book. I could agree that it doesn't help
students to save them making real effort to learn the language, but is
it really the best use of their language learning time to spend much of
it leafing through dictionaries for the right entry?

My problem with this work is that I see little market for it as a large
bulk of paper when it can be done more efficiently and cheaply with
already existing computer tools.

In an article by C. H. J. van der Merwe entitled "Rethinking Hebrew Instruction" <http://www.logos.com/academic/casestudies/rethinking_hebrew>, he writes:

In South Africa all pastors of the Dutch Reformed Churches have to take two years of Greek and > Hebrew (about 280 hours). It is an established but less than popular tradition. A 1983 study
showed that, on average, only 31% of pastors in the denomination read their Hebrew Bible
regularly.

After some changes in pedagogy and introducing computer tools, he writes:

A survey in 2002 revealed that 78% of pastors in the denomination now say that they read the
Greek and Hebrew Bible regularly. I believe this state of affairs can be partly (even mainly)
attributed to their ability to use electronic libraries like Logos.

While I prefer Accordance over Logos, I think that computer tools may facilitate learning and reading Hebrew.

Arne Halbakken