b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] verbs in pause

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor Peterson" <abuian AT access4less.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] verbs in pause
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:38:41 -0500

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <mauros AT iol.ie>
To: Trevor Peterson <abuian AT access4less.net>
Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:40:07 +0000

> >>however, whenever each of these subdivisions is longer
> than normal, supplementary marks ( accents ) are employed
> to make further breaks within the already broken
> segments. Song 1:4 is quite a long verse, and the < bak >
> in question has two vertical dots above the < b >. These
> dots are named "zakef qaton" and are the tip-off that
> this is a shortened form of < baka >.<<
>
> I added: >>. So, rather than accusing the NKJV note-makers
> of eisegesis I should, I suppose, suggest that they
> hadn't got to the end of the grammar; I'm not sure that
> that's any kinder <g> <<

I'm not sure why you're bringing up these earlier remarks.
You only cite them without explaining how they're relevant
to the present discussion. I have no particular objection to
them, nor do I see where they add anything beyond my answer
to the question that was raised. I did not go into the other
possible accent marks that might accompany pausal forms,
because it wasn't particularly relevant to the example at
hand. And what I said remains true--there is more consistent
correlation between atnach and silluq and pausal forms
(which was never meant to say, and I don't think I in any
way indicated, that pausal forms cannot be accompanied by
other accent marks). Am I missing something?

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics