b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] verbs in pause

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <mauros AT iol.ie>
  • To: Trevor Peterson <abuian AT access4less.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] verbs in pause
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:40:07 +0000

At 10:43 10/01/2005, Trevor Peterson wrote:

but the Masoretes' system dictated that such things would generally appear at the end of a speech division, which means in most cases they will coincide with the atnach or silluq.

Trevor:
Back in May 2002, there was an interesting question, involving pausal forms, raised on this list, with reference to Song of Solomon 1:4 :

>>At 01:45 17/05/02, Steve Fontenot wrote:

"rejoice in you" (NASB) - NKJV says, "rejoice in you. Feminine singular,
that is, the Shulamite." NIV says, "delight in you; {The Hebrew is
masculine singular.}" Which is correct? <<

I explained [ posting of May 17 ] :

>>however, whenever each of these subdivisions is longer than normal, supplementary marks ( accents ) are employed to make further breaks within the already broken segments. Song 1:4 is quite a long verse, and the < bak > in question has two vertical dots above the < b >. These dots are named "zakef qaton" and are the tip-off that this is a shortened form of < baka >.<<

I added: >>. So, rather than accusing the NKJV note-makers of eisegesis I should, I suppose, suggest that they hadn't got to the end of the grammar; I'm not sure that that's any kinder <g> <<

Regards,

Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros AT iol.ie