b-hebrew - Re: FW: [b-hebrew] Re: paraphrases, etc

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: FW: [b-hebrew] Re: paraphrases, etc
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:10:44 +0000

On 08/01/2005 04:57, George F Somsel wrote:

I would be surprised if any person of average -- or even slightly less
than average -- intelligence would SERIOUSLY espouse any of these
interpretations. ...

George, I think the only way to settle this one is to go out and ask ordinary people with little church etc background. In other words, do some field testing, as Wayne Leman urges. He notes that translators into minority languages regularly do field testing of their translations, but major English translations have not been field tested. The translators have simply assumed that their audiences will understand the language of the translation.

I realise that some of my misinterpretations are resolvable in the context. But I have done field testing of the translation I was working on, and have done Bible studies with less educated people in the UK. And during this I have found misunderstandings every bit as bizarre as the ones I mention here.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)