b-hebrew - Re: Fwd: Re: [b-hebrew] paraphrase Bible versions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [b-hebrew] paraphrase Bible versions
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:56:47 -0800 (PST)

Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org> wrote:
On 06/01/2005 15:48, Uri Hurwitz wrote:

> UH: this is a convenient illustration that more than one correct
> translation is possible from an origional. Contrary to Leman, the first
> possibility looks perfectly alright; it is intelligible ...

To you, who are used to this Hebrew idiom. Maybe to well-educated
English speakers. But this kind of usage can be very confusing to less
educated people.

UH: I thought that the use in English of 'heart" for "self" was quite
common; cf. heart to heart talk, etc. ect.

But this was really besides my point that various good translations of the
same original text are possible. Harold suggested another good one.

Uri

http://mail.yahoo.com