b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re:morpho-syntax, was Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re:morpho-syntax, was Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:23:40 -0500

B-Haverim,

I wanted to mention an anecdote...

I was talking with Alviero Niccacci, who taught an advanced level course in BH. His approach to BH is quite sensitive to the meaning of word order, and particularly the position of the finite verb, that is, whether the finite verb is in the first or second position within its clause. For instance, he will generally interpret a clause-initial yiqtol form as volitional. He mentioned to me that he had a difficult time with his advanced students because they had not been trained to pay attention to syntax, and he felt that he had to waste time trying to create new, more informed habits.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church