b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ezekiel 38:2f.; 39:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ezekiel 38:2f.; 39:1
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:19:24 -0500

Chris:

So much for using a computer for one's searches, that can make for
interesting searches, especially, as in this case, the words are not tagged
but just searched morphologically in an environment where spelling was fluid.

In the two cases in Numbers, both verses refer to "... authorities, heads of
... " where that which follows the comma is a description of who are the
authorities. Secondly, it is clear that N&Y)YM is in the absolute state, not
a construct of the noun following. Thirdly, though may not be significant, in
Numbers the nouns are in plural, in the Ezekiel passage they are singular.
Fourthly, again possibly not significant, in Numbers the nouns refer to
individuals, in Ezekiel in connection with regions.

The Ezekiel passage, OTOH, has the two nouns as singular, preceeded by a
place name and followed by others. It is possible that N&Y) is in construct
state with R)$, but this would be a unique case in Tanakh, especially if we
then consider R)$ to be in construct with the following place name M$K. N&Y)
does not refer back to MGWG the first time, nor GWG the next two times in the
Ezekiel passage, for the construct state does not refer backwards nor does a
place name fit in a construct state wtih "authority".

There are three options open to us on how to read the Ezekiel passage: 1)
N&Y) and R)$ are toponyms whose identities we'd have to look elsewhere than
grammar to identify, 2) N&Y) is in construct state to R)$, meaning the
"aughority of R)$" with R)$ still being a toponym, which would make the total
sentence Magog (first time) or Gog is the authority of R)$, or a third option
3) both N&Y) and R)$ are constructs, making Gog the authority head of M$K,
but I view this option as the least likely. Of the three options, I view #1
as the most likely, given the context.

As for the possible identities of the lands should #1 be the correct reading,
that would be the subject of a separate posting that I don't plan on making.

Karl W. Randolph.