b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ezekiel 38:2f.; 39:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ezekiel 38:2f.; 39:1
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:26:37 +0000

On 29/12/2004 04:49, Heard, Christopher wrote:

It seems to me there is at least one more option, which I will call:

4) R)$ is a construct but N&Y) is not, and the two nouns are appositive to
each other, yielding the reading "prince Gog, head of Meshek and Tubal." I
view #4 as the most likely, given the considerations I will outline or refer
to below.

This is only an option if you ignore the Masoretic pointing, which clearly has N:&IY) as a construct. While I would expect Karl to ignore this, I don't expect you to, Christopher, especially as you quote this pointing extensively.

In my view, your options #2 and #3 are unlikely. As corroborative data, I
note that in the two verses from Numbers--remember that the two verses from
Numbers and the three from Ezekiel are the only places in the Tanakh where a
form of N&Y) immediately follows a form of RO)$--it is clear that HANN:&IYIM
is in the absolute state and RF)$"Y is in the construct state.

And it is clear that in Ezekiel the construction is a different one, a construct followed by what might be either an absolute or a construct.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)