b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:47:23 -0800

On 12/23/04 11:16 AM, "Darrell Smith" <Darrell.H.Smith AT sceptreofjudah.org>
wrote:
> Perhaps I should have said: "the language of Noah and his sons, Shem in
> particular." I.e., the ancestor of all the Semitic languages rather
> than "proto-Hebrew". Also, a key word in your statement above is
> "recorded". Remember, the righteous line of descendants from Adam has
> always been a remnant, a small election from the total populace, a
> peculiar and often obscure people overshadowed by the great kingdoms and
> affairs of man.
>
> Now if a person chooses not to believe the historical accuracy of the
> Bible,

Even if one _does_ accept the historicity of the stories in Genesis 1-11,
precisely as they are told, what warrant is there for believing that there
was _any_ linguistic continuity between the before-Babel speech and
after-Babel languages?

Chris

--
R. Christopher Heard