b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:44:00 -0500

Chris:

To answer your final question first, yes.

To expand: from Moses to Josiah, Israel for the most part lived in linguistic
isolation from other languages where parents passed on their language little
changed to their children. It is possible to trace some changes from Moses to
Josiah, some language though most of those that I notice are literary
stylistic changes.

>From Josiah to Nehemiah there was the Babylonian Captivity, the Persian
>takeover, the influence of Aramaic where Jews as a people by the time of
>Nehemiah probably spoke Aramaic better than Hebrew, and many Farsi as well.
>From the linguistic and literary clues, one can see that the historical
>books, at least Samuel, Kings and Chronicles, were written after the Exile.
>The literarily complex writing of Isaiah, Jeremiah and other late pre-exile
>writings was replaced by a simple style that indicates that the writers were
>not as familiar with the language. We can see in Ezra an attempt to preserve
>the "Jewish" language, but even he wrote about half his book in Aramaic, as
>he expected his readers to be familiar with that language.

I see this all the time among children of immigrants: even if they live in
communities speaking their parents' language, their knowledge of their
parents' language is simplified and changed, the pronunciation and grammar
more like English, that is if they speak their parents' language at all. For
them, the language changed more in one generation than centuries before. And
that is the situation many if not most Jews experienced during the Babylonian
Captivity.

Another modern example is the Appalation hollows: when ethnographers
discovered their inhabitants in the early 20th century, they still spoke an
English little changed from Elizabethan. Their linguistic isolation preserved
stories, songs, traditions, even speech from changes that had overtaken the
rest of the English speaking world. But now, after the hollows were cleared
to make the Great Smokey Mountain Park, the grandchildren speak English the
same as any other modern person.

As for your first question, I was told that there was a literary style that
went out of use in the first half of the second millennium BC, in which the
author and subject of a document were appended on the end of a document,
instead of at the beginning as is common today. In Hebrew, it was denoted by
"These are the bringing forth ..." )LH TWLDWT ... (often mistranslated as
"These are the generations..."). While it might be claimed that these were
oral traditions, the fact that this was a written literary style, and that
with the exception of a few inserted poetic statements, the writing is prose
argue against it being oral traditions.

Of course, this is making some assumptions that can neither be proven nor
disproven: that Moses basically collated the documents without translating or
paraphrasing them.

As far as the anachronisms, how much do we actually _know_ about that period?
When scholars are arguing about something as simple as dates, where the
disagreement is not years or decades, but centuries, how much other
information has been lost? How many of the anachronisms are misunderstandings
of the information that we have? Isn't it hubris to make assertions when the
data is lacking?

Karl W. Randolph.