b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] red heifer

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: <biblical-studies AT yahoogroups.com>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] red heifer
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 07:52:52 +0200

Dear Jack,

That was just my point. All the Hebrew in Num. 19 says is that it must be a
"red cow, that is unblemished, that has never been harnessed." Assuming that
the English "heifer" means "a cow that has never had a calf" (which is not
quite the same as "virgin"), I was wondering where the translators got the
additional conditions from. I don't know of any Rabbibnic sources that add
these conditions.

Yigal Levin