b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] red heifer

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, biblical-studies AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] red heifer
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:48:51 -0500

At 08:44 AM 12/22/2004, you wrote:
All very intersting, but my question was, why the translators took such a
general term as "cow" and translated it as the more narrow "heifer". Did
they have any reason to think that this particular cow was special in any
way, besides its color?

Yigal

Isn't a heifer a virgin? And if so, it seems there would be significant reasons for suggesting that this special cow was even more special. Now forgive me - because I'm not a farmer- if I'm wrong about the virgin cow thing.

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies
Quartz Hill School of Theology