b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: g(r Psa. 106:9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: g(r Psa. 106:9
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:05:27 -0500

At 01:18 PM 12/17/2004, you wrote:

The text is clear that Jews crossed the sea, while the chariots got stuck. Before building of Aswan dam, there were plenty of swamps close to the Red Sea. With little wind, water became shallow. So it was mud.

Vadim Cherny

The chariots got stuck, we will no doubt be told, because it was a miracle that what was dry ground for the israelites became mud for the egyptians. Even though, of course, the egyptians were right on the heels of the israelites. The various and sundry "naturalistic" explanations, as I have called them, all falter on the simple logic of the text- which again, cannot be "proven". Either you have to accept that the text is recording straightforward history- and that a divine miracle- or you have to wriggle around hoping that there is some analogous explanation. Or, you can accept the story as "theological historiography" - that is the option I think most useful.

Best

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies