b-hebrew - Re: Date of Moses, was: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Date of Moses, was: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:54:30 -0800 (PST)

Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org> wrote:
:
...But where did the IA I date come from? "

Sorry, I don't understand your question, Peter. Every hand book of
Syrian-Palestinian archaeology explains how the date was derived, and why
most connect it with early Israeli settlement in the highlands, by whatever
name they call it. (Compare Deaver's" Proto- Israelites ")

Uri

The dating for Moses which George
called "absurd" was ca. 1450-1400. No one would identify that date (or
the end of it, for the Conquest) with IA I. On the orthodox chronology
1400 would be somewhere in the LB, but other chronologies e.g. that of
John Bimson identify a Conquest at about this date with the widespread
destruction, including of Jericho, at the end of MB IIB.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)

Meet the all-new My Yahoo! – Try it today!