b-hebrew - Re: Date of Moses, was: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: gfsomsel AT juno.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Date of Moses, was: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:00:38 -0800 (PST)

gfsomsel AT juno.com wrote:

...It is a moot point if there even was an Exodus as depicted in the
Pentateuch. The housing styles and the pottery reflect an unbroken
sequence which would tend to indicate that there was no influx of a
foreign element into the land. It would seem that Israel was an
indigenous people of the country. ..."

This point, the absence of new pottery assemblies in IA I has been
mentioned often as proof of lack of outside newcomers in the highlands .
However pottery resembling the one in the highlands of Cis-Jordan was also
found in Moab.

Further, both Albright (if one may be forgiven for mentioning the name in
a modern list) and Finkelstein long after him, pointed out that when less
developed groups such as nomads settle down among more devloped population,
the former will adopt the the higher technology.

There are other points, but all taken together are neither archaeological
proof , in my view, nor a refutation of outside settlers. The case is still
open.

Uri

Discover all thatÂ’s new in My Yahoo!