b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Joseph I. Lauer" <josephlauer AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:43:55 +0000

On 14/11/2004 23:46, Joseph I. Lauer wrote:

... ["An example is "llyfr"
(book)" (wouldn't this have been very interesting, and a source for many
dissertations, if sefer started with a Sin instead of a Samech?!)]. In a
humorous vein, a May 2, 1993 article in The New York Times Sunday Travel
Section (p. 39), by Pamela Petro ("Gymru and Cymru and All That"), states
that "The famous Welsh double L, as in Lloyd, is pronounced as if you happen
to sneeze violently while saying the word 'little.'"
Whatever its original sound, the Sin apparently has not been pronounced
"correctly" in 2,000 years. ...

Thank you. I tend to agree with the Welsh link, but I will check with my pastor who knows both (modern) Hebrew and Welsh (although he is an Arab!) Of course the Welsh still pronounce their double L correctly. But I guess "llyfr" is derived from Latin "liber" rather than Hebrew "sefer". But you will find Hebrew words in Wales, including the town of Bethesda - which probably got its name from a church of that name.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)