b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Placeholders: )$R w/o antecedent

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Placeholders: )$R w/o antecedent
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:17:09 +0100

On 23/10/2004 19:42, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

Dear Peter,

Basic Hebrew knowledge is not as simple as you thought, for ):A$ER is not the same as the Greek, Latin or English relative.

HH: I never said it was. I was the one who first mentioned, it seems weeks ago, that BDB calls )$R a connecting link or sign of relation. We ...

No, you, singular. Well, not BDB, not Gesenius "in the Greek, Latin or English sense", not Clay, and not me.

... call the function that it sometimes has that of a relative pronoun.

A pronoun is something which fills a noun slot in the syntactic structure. If ):A$ER does not do this, it is like Azerbaijani ki which should not be called a pronoun: it is a relative something, but a relative conjuction. Since in certain cases ):A$ER can fill a noun slot, it is sometimes a pronoun. But the slot it fills is not usually the one (in the subordinate clause) which a Greek, Latin or English relative pronoun fills, and so Gesenius is quite right to say that ):A$ER "is not, however, a relative pronoun in the Greek, Latin or English sense".

So I end up agreeing with Clay on Ezekiel 23:28.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)