b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] GDD (was not: Self-mutilation)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] GDD (was not: Self-mutilation)
  • Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 07:46:00 -0500

Harold:

We don't know when the Damascus Document was authored, but from the sounds of
it, it was centuries after the last of the Hebrew canon. In other words, at a
time when the people on the street spoke Aramaic and only the scholars spoke
Hebrew more or less fluently (much like the medieval monks spoke Latin). Thus
it is very likely that GDD in the Damascus Document is either an Aramaic loan
word or a late development of GDWD into a verb.

As for the "up-to-date lexicon", have you not noticed my discussions
concerning BDB? All of those that I know of since Gesenius have been written
with presuppositions that I reject: presuppositions such as evolution, the
late development of the Hebrew canon, the backwardness of the ancient Hebrew
people, and that word usages in cognate languages and in post Biblical Hebrew
accurately reflects Biblical Hebrew use. (The last point can often give us
clues to rarely used Biblical Hebrew terms, if used with caution.) I find
that comparing lexemes with their roots and synonyms within Tanakh more
useful for finding accurate definitions than looking at cognate languages.

Karl W. Randolph.