b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] GDD (was not: Self-mutilation)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] GDD (was not: Self-mutilation)
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 11:20:25 -0500

Yigal:

What I object to here is the giving of a unique definition to a term without
good reason.

An example of a good reason is GZR in Esther 2:1. In all other Hebrew uses
GZR has the meaning of severing, but here that makes absolutely no sense. But
recognizing that the Jews living under Persian rule in Susa probably knew
Aramaic better than Hebrew, and that the use here is the same as the Aramaic
use, GZR here is an Aramaic loan word into the Hebrew text.

But in Jeremiah 5:7 GDD does make sense as incising as part of idolatry,
which is the context leading into this verse, consistant with 1 Kings 18 as
well. This is consistant with the total context of Tanakh. Whether you trust
Tanakh or not is immaterial to the analysis of lexeme use within Tanakh.

Karl W. Randolph.