b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Hebrew "Nominative"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Hebrew "Nominative"
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:28:28 -0500

Clay:

This discussion is not only incomprehensible to third year sem students, but
I find it difficult to follow as well.

Look at the context!

In particular verses 21 and following of this chapter show that this was a
contest where there was only one ”winner“. And when the fire came down from
heaven and burned so hot that even the stones were consumed, the people
responded to the sight by saying YHWH HW) H)LHYM [YHWH he is God] with the
HW) indicating the emphatic.

I see no pleonasm here, other than the indication that the people were
repeating the sentence.

Honestly, I think you grammarians often add complexity where the context
indicates simplicity.

Karl W. Randolph.