b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Labials and letter interchange

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Labials and letter interchange
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:00:09 -0500

Sorry, Yigal:

It was late at night, I was tired and I didn’t doublecheck. Now my mistake is
out for all to see. Should keep me humble, but never seems to sink in.

The word in Judges is $Q+ which means peace, not being threatened by enemies.
(At least I got the first and last letters correct.)

$L+ refers to having authority.

$LWM in 1 Kings 5:4 is in the context of Solomon’s wealth, and Israel’s too,
during his reign, so again it refers to far more than just peace. In other
words, Israel was very prosperous at that time, beyond all those surrounding
them.

$LH or $LW has the idea of confidence, sometimes to the point of
overconfidence. Those who have confidence are at ease. We have in 2 Kings 4
the Shunamite woman asking Elisha not to give reason to boast, i.e. the
promise of a son when she considered herself too old to have one, but to her
surprise God gave her a son according to Elisha’s promise.

Is there a connection between fulness and confidence? You’re right, probably
stronger than between fulness and peace. Plus the forms show a possible
connection.

Karl W. Randolph.