b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Labials and letter interchange

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Labials and letter interchange
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:55:51 +0100

On 15/09/2004 05:15, Karl Randolph wrote:

Yigal:

The opposite of war is not $LWM but SL+ (look at the book of Judges), ...

Karl, this one is a real puzzle. I thought you might mean $L+ "domineer, be master of", but this root (apart from $ELE+ "shield") is found only in very late books (the ones which almost everyone agrees are exilic or post-exilic), except for Gen 42:6 which BDB suggests was a late substitution. Nothing at all in Judges. And there are no roots SL+, &L+, or CL+.

So I wonder if this was in fact a typo for $P+, which is of course a key term in Judges, and does in some sense contrast with war, although a contrast with anarchy might be more accurate.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)