b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Rabshakeh vs. Hezekiah (2 Kings 18:19-22)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Patrina <patrina AT bestmail.us>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Rabshakeh vs. Hezekiah (2 Kings 18:19-22)
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 22:37:56 +0100

On 29/08/2004 00:40, Patrina wrote:

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:03:57 +0100, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
said:
But
then the chief butler's misunderstanding is not surprising since his culture presumably had no concept of a god who should be worshipped only at one single sanctuary. But this is what YHWH had asked for, at least according to the Torah, and was the attested practice from the time of the Exodus at least until Solomon's day, although the location of the central sanctuary varied from time to time.

From the Exodus on? I may be wrong, but I don't think your summation is
correct. Was the central sanctuary ever authorised at Gilgal where
Samuel inaugurated the Kingship (1 Sam 10-1 Sam 11)? Or at Bethel? Maybe you can tell me whether the ark was sometimes at Gilgal or Bethel?

Amos didn't seem to think that these places were kosher.

In Samuel's time, after the fall of Shiloh, presumably Gligal, safely distant from the Philistines, was used as a temporary central sanctuary - although without the ark as the Philistines had captured it and for some reason (perhaps because of its fatal reputation) was not returned to a central sanctuary as soon as it was found. It was certainly one central place where all the Israelites gathered, before a permanent central sanctuary was built at Jerusalem. I didn't say anything about authorisation.

Bethel was inaugurated as a shrine by Jeroboam I after the time of Solomon, and was clearly considered unauthorised by the Jerusalem priesthood as well as by the Judahite Amos - and of course the ark was never there. Presumably at some time Gilgal was reinstated as a sanctuary by the northern Israelites, and also considered unauthorised by the Judahites. But the divided kingdom period is outside the timescale I mentioned.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)