b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Rabshakeh vs. Hezekiah (2 Kings 18:19-22)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Patrina" <patrina AT bestmail.us>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Rabshakeh vs. Hezekiah (2 Kings 18:19-22)
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:10:56 +0930

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:03:57 +0100, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
said:
But
> then the chief butler's misunderstanding is not surprising since his
> culture presumably had no concept of a god who should be worshipped only
> at one single sanctuary. But this is what YHWH had asked for, at least
> according to the Torah, and was the attested practice from the time of
> the Exodus at least until Solomon's day, although the location of the
> central sanctuary varied from time to time.
>

>From the Exodus on? I may be wrong, but I don't think your summation is
correct. Was the central sanctuary ever authorised at Gilgal where
Samuel inaugurated the Kingship (1 Sam 10-1 Sam 11)? Or at Bethel?
Maybe you can tell me whether the ark was sometimes at Gilgal or Bethel?

Amos didn't seem to think that these places were kosher.

Patrina Nuske Small
Adelaide, South Australia