b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Rabshakeh vs. Hezekiah (2 Kings 18:19-22)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter R. Mattfeld" <mattfeld12 AT charter.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Rabshakeh vs. Hezekiah (2 Kings 18:19-22)
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:41:48 -0400

I get the notion that the Rabshakeh "appears" to be telling Hezekiah that
because Hezekiah has AFFRONTED Yahweh-Elohim by tearing down Yahweh's altars
and high places that Yahweh has sent the Assyrians to punish him, and that
God will NOT aide him against Assyria. Any other interpretations out there ?

2 Kings 18:19-22 RSV

"And the Rabshakeh said to them, "Say to Hezekiah, 'Thus says the great
king, the king of Assyria: On what do you rest this confidence of yours ? Do
you think that mere words are strategy and power for war ? On whom do you
now rely, that you have rebelled against me ? Behold, you are relying now on
Egypt, that broken reed of a staff, which will pierce the hand of any man
who leans on it. Such is Pharaoh king of Egypt to all who rely on him. But
if you say to me "We rely on the LORD our God," is it not he whose high
places and altars Hezekiah has removed, saying to Judah and to Jerusalem,
"You shall worship before this altar in Jerusalem ?"

Regards, Walter

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld y de la Torre, M.A. Ed.

mattfeld12 AT charter.net

www.bibleorigins.net