b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex Pu'ah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex Pu'ah
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:57:52 +0100

On 26/08/2004 21:50, Peter Kirk wrote:

On 26/08/2004 20:32, MarianneLuban AT aol.com wrote:

I am not tossing any missiles. I just gave views. The Bible dictionary in which I looked up "Pu'ah" was compiled by James P. Boyd, hopefully an expert. He treats the Pu'ah of Exodus and the Puah of Judges as the same name. ...

This is sufficient to prove that he is not an expert, indeed that he hasn't even looked at the Hebrew text. You don't get scholarship for $3.99 (which I found it offered for); that's the price of a reprint of a second rate 19th century work (although I wasn't actually able to confirm that this is the original date of this work).

I found the following on the Internet:

The Self-Pronouncing Bible Dictionary, by James P. Boyd (copyright 1896)

The Peoples Pocket Dictionary of the Holy Bible as Every Day Companion for Teachers and Readers of the Scriptures
Boyd, James P.
... L.W. Walter Company 1878.

and the same title

Philadelphia and Chicago: P.W. Ziegler & Co. 1888.

I guess what you have is a reprint of one or other of these. Prices at abebooks start at just $1.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)