b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Thera quote

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Thera quote
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:09:44 -0500

Dave:

Thanks for bringing this up. Before the recent discussion on this board, I
had heard of the theory, but not thought about it. But the more it was
discussed on this board, the more it raised questions.

First, we have no firm date for the Thera explosion. There was some great
volcanic explosion about 1628 BC, but was it Thera? One of the links in a
time.

Secondly, how big was the Theran eruption? Ash falls of 100 feet indicate
that it could have been huge, or was it a continuous, simmering eruption like
the continuing one in Hawaii that laid the ash over many years, even decades?
If the latter, it is possible that it left little to almost no record in tree
ring or glacier stratigraphic records.

The prevailing wind argument against the Theran eruption being seen in Egypt
is empty, as prevailing winds are merely that—prevailing—the eruption could
have occured during one of the many times the wind was blowing the right
direction.

Thirdly, some of the things mentioned in Exodus don’t fit the Theran eruption
hypothesis, most notably the pillar of smoke by day and of fire by night. It
is mentioned as being right on top of the )HL MW(D except when underway. This
is not a volcanic pillar seen from hundreds of miles away. After all, if God
created the space-time continuum in the first place, why is it out of the
picture to suggest that he acted into it in a “supernatural” way?

Karl W. Randolph.