b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Gen. 1.21, Winged Birds

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dan and/or Nancy Storm" <danstorm AT comcast.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Gen. 1.21, Winged Birds
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:52:31 -0700

I am somewhat of a beginning student of Hebrew, so I hope this question isn't
too basic for this list. In Genesis 1:21 we read that God created "every
winged bird according to its kind". What I'm interested in is two words: (OP
KFNFP, "winged bird". (Please let me know if I have mistransliterated this.)

Koehler and Baumgartner list KFNFP as a substantive, meaning wing, but it
seems to be used here adjectivally. From this I assume that substantives can
be used as adjectives in Hebrew, like when we say in English sports car, fire
truck, and so forth. I also wondered whether this might be an example of the
construct state. However, with the construct state, the second noun takes the
definite article. And even then we would have to translate the words
something like "bird of a wing". Since the definite article is lacking here,
I am assuming that we can safely rule out the construct state.

Please help me construe these words.

D. Anthony Storm
danstorm AT comcast.net