b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen. 1.21, Winged Birds

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <mauros AT iol.ie>
  • To: "Dan and/or Nancy Storm" <danstorm AT comcast.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen. 1.21, Winged Birds
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:48:49 +0100

At 06:52 26/08/2004, Dan and/or Nancy Storm wrote:

However, with the construct state, the second noun takes the definite article.

No, it doesn't.

> kol hanabi< means " the voice of a prophet ", whereas > kol nabi < means " a voice of a prophet " or as Lambdin clearly states in s.68:
>> The definiteness of the entire expression depends on the second noun: if it is made definite with the article or a prope name, the first is also definite <<

And even then we would have to translate the words something like "bird of a wing". Since the definite article is lacking here, I am assuming that we can safely rule out the construct state.

Your assumption is based on a false premise, and so falls.

Look up 'OF in Brown, Driver, and Briggs and you will see: >> abs. Gn 1:20 +, cstr. v 21 <<

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros AT iol.ie