b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hatshepsut's Inscription

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Banyai AT t-online.de (Michael Banyai)
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hatshepsut's Inscription
  • Date: 23 Aug 2004 16:00 GMT

Hallo Marianne,

you wrote:

> The scene is captioned "the
> bringing of eye-paint (ground-up ore) by 37 Aamu". Their leader's name is
> given
> as "Abisha" and women and children are with him. The children ride on a
> donkey and they bring a gazelle, too, as a gift. Before the procession is
> the word
> "Hq3 x3swt" or "rulers of foreign lands". This is the true meaning of the
> term "Hyksos".

I compared somewhere the term Hq3 x3swt with the old akkadian (and later on
Assyrian and Babylonian) "sar kissati" the highest Mesopotamian royal title,
often translated as king of the world but originarily coming from the title
of king of Kish (the first monarchy after the mesopotamian Deluge). I found
Gernot Wilhelm equating KISH=sanatum, which is Akk. hill. I was not able to
find this in any glossary, so I can not say where does Wilhelm have this
(probably from a list of Godsnames equivalating the Hurrian Kushuh with
SU-EN, that is the Sumerian moon-god?). Should Wilhelm be right (a historian
of great reputation!) than we would have the equivalence with the Egyptian
title down to the yota. Since, what we commonly translate as foreign lands is
the "hill" sign.

Probably was the Egyptian title some translation of a Levantine malikum
title, itself a reflection of the akkadian one.

I suppose the reason why the royal title got applied to the Hyksos themselves
is because their original name Meluhha/imliq had found a popular etimology in
malik=king, that is Egyptian h3qw. Don´t forget that particularly for this
name of the Hyksos are (wrong) popular etimologies current, deriving with
Josephus (but probably with Manetho because Josephus was surely not current
with Egyptian nor with the demotic language of the Egyptian) sos from the
demotical word for sheppard.

Best regards,

Bányai Michael
Stuttgart